Who are United Methodist Women?
Every woman at Metropolitan is a member of Metropolitan’s United Methodist Women.
What are the women of the UMW about?
Purpose of the United Methodist Women:The organized unit of United Methodist Women shall be a community of women whose purpose is to know God and to experience freedom as whole persons through Jesus Christ; to develop a creative, supportive fellowship; and to expand concepts of mission through participation in the global ministries of the church.
Do I have to attend meetings every month?
No, but it is pretty difficult to be “in community” if you don’t find some opportunities to connect with Metro’s UMW unit. But, if meetings don’t appeal to you, here are other ways to be “in community.”
- Join some of the small groups of women at church. There is a group which knits sweaters for Headstart and squares for Warm up America. There is a Book Club. A group of unmarried women over 50 meets monthly to discuss current affairs from a spiritual perspective. The bulletin lists these meetings. New folks are welcomed.
- Collect labels for all the Campbell Soup products and leave them in the library. Glynis Cullins counts them and sends them to Red Bird Mission where they can buy needed supplies and equipment.
- Attend the District events. How do you get more information on these events? Watch the Sunday Bulletin. If you don’t know who the officers are, call the office and say that you want someone from UMW to contact you. Jeanette Harris is our units Communications Officer. You can call 248-752-7147 or if you prefer, email: jharris48 (at) yahoo (dot) com
- Read books from the UMW Reading list to learn about global ministries. These books are provocative and encourage women to stay abreast of current issues. It is hoped that study will lead to action.
- Regularly check the calendar of UMW activities which is posted on the Bulletin Board outside the Parlor. There are meetings, but also hands-on ministry projects, social events and spiritual study events. There is something for all interests. Shy? The women of the UMW would love to embrace new people.
Ladies, don’t hide your gifts, talents and spiritual interests from Metro’s community of women. You are needed and expected.